Evolving Peace

A site that is progressing for the goal of everlasting peace within ourselves, our family, our friends, our country and our planet !

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Why I write...



The sun was shinning amongst us as we ascended up to the summit of Spruce Mountain. Over two and half feet of snow blanketed the forest floor and even though we were geared with snow shoes it was not an easy task. Heavy clumps of snow wedged atop our snow shoes and an occasional slip into deeper pockets of snow making it tougher than it appear, however days like this is what I cherish.

Out in the realms of nature, there are no distractions from passing cars, music blaring or the loud thundering of society’s daily workings, just nature at its finest. Amongst the snow covered trails two humans trekking along can invigorate one’s soul. Talk and chatter amongst ourselves filled our day. Family histories, relationships, music and politics flowed throughout the walk. Many discussions came about, some things I knew quite well and other things I just did not have a clue.

Immersed in deep conversations, I thought a question to myself. That question was “why do I write?” So, for the last twenty four hours, even though I have had multiple conversations with my partner and friends the question had been pondering in my head. I did not have search too far for answers, because it was right here in front of me.

Just like yesterday’s conversation in the deep snow in which I was able to express my thoughts and wisdom to someone I barely know, my writing here allows more of the same in just another form. The fundamentally greatness of the United States Constitution is our right to free speech and it is the free flowing of ideas that allows us to progress. Communication is not one sided and has many facets, whether it through listening, talking, writing or some form of artistic expression we humans have the ability to converse amongst ourselves.

In college I took a class called “Cultural History of Modern Europe.” Topics ranged from the paintings of Picasso, the poetry of William Blake, the literature of Mary Shelley and to the architecture of Walter Gropious. Upon completion of the class, the professor asked each on of us and what we obtained from the class. Many responses revolved around the notion that they had obtained a new found appreciation to the many works of art. My response was that “it was a pleasure reading the words of countless individuals throughout time and that it made me realize that were and are many others out there who perceive the events of the world like I do and that I am not nuts.” The professor responded with an emotional outburst “that is why I f…ing teach this class.”

In regard to my writing, I realize that there are many issues and ideas out there and not all people perceive them they way I do. So as I realized fifteen years ago, I am not nuts and my writings are more than just my words, they reveal my inner beliefs as a message to all others who come by my words that they are not nuts and that there are others who may think the way they do.

A few years back I received some threats of bodily harm due to my viewpoints on Iraq, despite those vehement insults I continued to express myself and now the nation has began an open debate in the consequences of the War in Iraq. My wish is to see many others to express themselves. Whether it be in a blog or a letter to the editor it is important for you to express yourself, otherwise a viewpoint of powerful entities could destroy it.

A few years back while I was hiking along the Napali Coast,(Kauai, Hawaii) I was immersed in a conversation with a fellow from Northern California. He reminded me that linguist Noam Chomsky stated that “if you can get ten people to think the way you do, you have started a movement.” I reflect back to the discussion on the rocky cliffs of Kauai and I recognize that the statement’s significance shows the power of expression. For chance if myself and many others had kept quite about the Iraq war, would there be debate on the war today?

It takes courage to speak out and when it is unpopular to speak out people generally stay quite in a state of fear. Now that enough people have voiced their opinion about the war, it almost has become an oddity to be in support of it. Those who continually propagate the war’s rhetoric appear to be crazed fanatics, instead of leaders of the majority. Overwhelming support had been given by the American people only because the voices of war had been louder, now as more people are revealed the truth there is more hope on seeing its end. This has only been achieved because people like me have spoken our thoughts.

While the world continuously revolves in orbit, I actively look to speak and document my perspectives and experiences to the world as a beacon of hope that we can change the course of humanity suffering. As I had been immersed discussions with a new friend upon the trails of Spruce Mountain, I not only expressed myself but learned a lot from another fellow man in his life’s journey. I write not because I may know better, for I write because I want to be better.

Peace
Robb Kidd

“The reason one writes isn't the fact he wants to say something. He writes because he has something to say.” F. Scott Fitzgerald

1 Comments:

At February 19, 2007 1:34 AM, Blogger Jose said...

I agree 100% with what you say.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home