Evolving Peace

A site that is progressing for the goal of everlasting peace within ourselves, our family, our friends, our country and our planet !

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Permanent Iraq Compound


One of my pleasures for a Sunday morning is to accompany my partner for breakfast at Coffee Corner in Montpelier and for this Sunday morning, it was like many before. For anyone who has never been there before, as soon as you walk in there is a large table in a bay window inviting you to sit down; it is known as the community table. It is very interesting since you can have conversation with church goers, motorcyclists or families of three. As well since I am not necessarily a morning person I tend to read the paper but on occasion I will join in on conversations.

This morning was not a conversation day for me, since the day seemed to start on a damp and overcast note; so I was more inclined to reading the paper. Sarah and I did tend to converse on our own topics but conversation did not spread to our fellow table mates. I for one like to talk politics or about nature so it seemed as if conversations just did not match with others. While I was reading, I overheard two late middle aged men conversing about baseball and it was quite disturbing for me to hear. These two men were both enthralled with the topic that they thoroughly covered recent trade analysis to the latest performance of a certain Red Sox pitcher as if their lives depended on it. Now what perplexes me is that it was the conversation of two fully grown men and not that of teenage boys. Shouldn’t their conversation entail of something of greater relevancy? Before anyone discredits me for being an intellectual elitist, I have enjoyed myself extensively with the pleasures of live baseball games in the past, but I now realize that it was a major distraction from the meaningful experiences of life.

I was disturbed with such meaningless trivial conversation and instead captivated myself within the paper. Oh, boy an article about the $592 million dollar US Embassy being built in Iraq. While on one hand the President has clearly stated that we are in Iraq to foster the democratic process, the US is building a 104 acre compound to house their embassy facilities that appears to be an occupation fortress. This new facility is by far the largest foreign embassy in the world. Prior to this news report I barely have heard of its enormous size or its cost, but when I have heard of it, it has clearly been described as further evidence the US has no intentions of ever leaving Iraq.

This past week, we have in the news that Congress is trying to place time constraints on the President by calling for a timeline to US involvement in Iraq, but as stories like this emerge that further demonstrate that the US has no intentions of ever leaving Iraq, I question the rational of the American public and politicians. Our politicians and Washington can continue to debate about when it is appropriate to bring the troops home; however until the time comes that we rid the nation of the neoconservative doctrine of the Bush and Cheney Crime Syndicate we as a nation will be stuck paying for the flagrant violations of our Constituition.

As I grew more outraged on reading about the $593 million dollar compound in Iraq, I peeked at the gentlemen immersed in talk of the Red Sox and realized that until the rest of this nation wakes up from their Coca-Cola Coma the nation and the world is doomed. There may be many souls out here in the blogsphere or in Montpelier who do care, however the truth of the matter is that they care more about Manny Ramirez’s underwear and Derek Jeter’s girlfriend than what is going on in the world around them. I hope that maybe just one day that will change, because democracy sure does not work that way.

Peace
Robb Kidd

“Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.” Steve Jobs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home