Evolving Peace

A site that is progressing for the goal of everlasting peace within ourselves, our family, our friends, our country and our planet !

Monday, July 09, 2007

Live Earth, Dead Culture...


For many years of my life I would have considered myself to be a cynical pessimist, but with the evolving of recent current events I have become a cynical optimist. Over the weekend we had seen a worldwide display of interest in solving the impending climate change crisis through Al Gore’s Live Earth Concert’s. I for one do believe that the consciousness of humanity is changing towards the better; however on the other hand I do believe that humanity has royally fucked things up, that dominating forces are still dictating policies that are destroying the planet and that the majority of the populace still just does not care.

Due to a birthday celebration for my godchild’s first birthday, I had removed myself from my eco-friendly compounds of the Green Mountain State and ventured into the suburban concrete jungles of New Jersey. New Jersey is home of the Meadowlands Sports Complex and Giants Stadium the venue for one of the Live Earth Concerts. Sounds nice The Meadowlands, but if you look closer it is mere irony that this “meadow land” had been plowed over to make room for a sports complex. The surrounding Hackensack River has been so polluted that I doubt if even a fish could survive its murky waters. Nestled along its banks are massive highways to shuttle herds of people to and from their jobs. Offices and industrial warehouses have too been plotted on this once natural environment but now just a haven for consumerism at its finest. A lovely place to hold a concert for the Earth and this is what the invite should have been...

Live Earth,

If you have a hundred and eighty dollars or more that you have earned working within the confines of your cubicle in some concrete asbestos laden office building selling stuff, you have the time to enjoy a summer day in a building made of materials harshly extracted from the lovely earth, you have an expensive fossil fuel burning vehicle to drive to the asphalt parking lots of what used to be meadows, and have the desire to consume beverages in disposable cups and eat unnatural chemically and genetically modified foods come hear your favorite millionaire entertainers perform live so you can show the world that you care about the earth.

Just a note, I thought about attending the concert but passed on it upon seeing the cynical irony of the situation. Amongst my visit I heard one redeeming quality of the event and that was “well at least it is getting people to talk about the issue.” I guess that is a step forward and that shows you my optimism.

On the other hand within thirty miles of that stadium are countless shopping malls, car dealerships and fast food joints and unfortunately while the tens of thousands were at this concert these “businesses” thrived and the consumer culture flourished. As well about thirty minutes from the stage of the Live Earth concert stands a Hummer Dealership. Passing by, it appears as if it is a model Fisher Price toy garage, except in this case it is for overgrown and irresponsible adults instead of children. To me it is offensive for it is at my birthplace of Mahwah, NJ and also coincidentally the hometown of the poet Joyce Kilmer, who wrote the poem Trees. The irony of American culture where a poem about the magnificence of Trees was written now stands a symbol of environmental degradation. In the age when humanity is supposedly caring about the earth, the Hummer stands out and shows the epitome of modern American culture and how humanity just does not give a hoot.

We can talk as much as we want about the issues but until each one of us stops believing the myth that economic production and consumption is man’s destiny our planet will continually be destroyed. It is not a debate of paper or plastic for your shopping bag, but merely how much consumption is enough. I as an individual have done many things to lessen my personal impact on the planet, however my own chooses may be futile unless each one of my friends, neighbors and complete strangers do more than just attend a concert for the earth.

Peace
Robb Kidd

Trees by
Joyce Kilmer

THINK that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

5 Comments:

At July 09, 2007 1:23 PM, Blogger Little Miss Curious said...

Well said. The reality is we can not change the culture of consumerism that has destroyed the earth through more consumerism (big rock concert, beer in plastic cups, t-shirts with pictures of the earth, etc.)We are going to have to change our lifestyle and that is going to make some people very unhappy.

 
At July 09, 2007 2:29 PM, Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Travel is really hard on the earth and I encourage everyone to walk first and you will see things in their own back yard that most people go to other continents to see.

 
At July 10, 2007 10:32 AM, Anonymous JD Ryan said...

I saw Live Earth as a well intentioned missed opportunity. Instead of driving home that we need radical lifestyle changes and sacrifice, it was more about biodiesel and compact flourescents, things that are coming into the norm anyways. And my god, is the state of popular music a shitty mess or what? I'm glad I tuned out a long time ago.

 
At July 10, 2007 3:41 PM, Blogger RobbKidd said...

Guy,

Yeah I spent year working in travel, and I sent countless people across the globe but at the sametime they did not have a clue of the treasures in their own backyards. No wonder people don't care about they don't even know about it.
JD-Yeah it has become politically expedient for the likes of AL Gore and other Democrats to be all for the issue, as they fail to realize that they have supported an economic system of greed that is dismantling our planet..

 
At July 10, 2007 4:11 PM, Anonymous pippi said...

Very well said. The irony of the situation is pretty funny. Now where is my poly/cotton teeshirt made by 6 year old children?

I have slept in those swampy "meadows" just near the "meadowlands"
and wow. Stinky! and not in that earthy stink way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home