Evolving Peace

A site that is progressing for the goal of everlasting peace within ourselves, our family, our friends, our country and our planet !

Thursday, July 26, 2007

No to LNG


As I settle back into my virtual and reality world of Montpelier, Vermont I contemplate the plethora of issues I can write about. Latest news in Vermont, still is brewing over the failure of the Vermont Legislature to override the governors veto of the Global Warming Bill/ Vermont Yankee tax and now the Democratic leadership’s has set forth an agenda to legalize marriage. However with those issues on the forefront I have decided to tackle another issue. In my previous post I wrote about our connections to our Canadian brethrens and therefore having spent some time visiting their land, I would like to reach out and help broadcast their message.

Along the Bay of Fundy, there is a quaint hamlet of a town called St. Andrews, not having traveled there before I am not that well informed of its history but of casual observance it is a nice vacation village that has not been disrupted from tourist commercialization. Scattered throughout the town there are signs saying no to LNG. Of course with my natural curiosity I had to look into their concerns and determine what it is all about. Well, it turns out there is plan to install Liquefied Natural Gas(LNG) terminals along the coastline and to many of the residents of the region there is deep concerns regarding the environmental impact of having supper tankers upsetting the natural environment and as well as the potentials for explosive catastrophes.

I am diametrically opposed to the large scale shipments of fossil fuel sources and to that matter I support those in opposition to development of these terminals. Alternative sources of energy are in high demand and instead of investing in alternate sources global international corporations are trying to exploit the natural environments to increase profits. As I see signs of angst against these plans I pontificate on what actions I can do to help support such a cause. While I am not a resident of St. Andrews nor do I have any plans for a future visit, I too do not want to see any future devastation to its scenic coastline.

So sitting here in my enclave within the Green Mountain State of Vermont, what can I do to help their cause? Yes, I do not use liquefied natural gas but for every effort I do to personal use an environmental sustainable fuel source maybe just by chance that will help decrease the demand for polluting energy sources. While liquefied natural gas may not be as pollutant as say coal or oil it still has a negative effect on our environment and the less I use of polluting fuels and the greater development of alternative energy sources there will not be a need to destroy harbors for the sake of shipping.

I am hundreds of miles away from St. Andrews, New Brunswick and while I sit home and contemplate my future, I await a future where each individual community/region will have safe, clean and renewable energy sources so that the natural environment no longer has to be compromised to fuel our obsessions of energy. The status of what goes on in St. Andrews may not affect you, but maybe it will affect you in Cape May, NJ or the Oregon Coast if you keep your eyes closed.

Peace
Robb Kidd

“The cause of violence is not ignorance. It is self-interest. Only reverance can restrain violence - reverance for human life and the environment.” William Sloan Coffin

2 Comments:

At July 26, 2007 12:46 PM, Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Robb, we are presently fighting 5 proposed LNG facilities here on the Columbia river right now. It looks like one will be denied and the other is now getting resistance because of the pipeline that they plan to run out of it.

 
At July 28, 2007 8:23 AM, Blogger RobbKidd said...

Guy,

Yeah I forgot about the lng debate in your neck of the woods. I was just trying to make a reference that things like LNG take place in many places and if we all don't pay attention to what happens somewhere else it could just happen where ever you are or like to go. Thanks tobb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home