Evolving Peace

A site that is progressing for the goal of everlasting peace within ourselves, our family, our friends, our country and our planet !

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Eating Locally on the Lawn

Amongst, the hot noon sun the Vermont State House lawn was cooking with the joys of locally grown produce and meats. Today it was not a political demonstration neither calling for the impeachment of the President nor calling for the end of the war, but was a celebration of the abundance of locally grown foods.

Under a tent on the state house lawn Vermonters enjoyed the culinary skills of Vermont chefs in a tasty display of the meats and produce of Vermont. Today, August 1 began a week long challenge by the Central Vermont Localvore group for Vermonters to consume locally grown food (within 100miles). This time of year Vermont is blessed with a plethora of fresh fruits, vegetables and meats that such a challenge is not that difficult to achieve.

There are many amongst us who have taken up this challenge and it is not just the stereotypically crunchy, granola eating, Birkenstock wearing hippy but of all walks of life. Amongst the long lines of people were businessmen in suits, mothers with children in tow, state employees and of course being in Montpelier a mixing of political leaders who had all grazed upon the fresh servings.

I respect all those who had attend this event, even the ones I fundamentally am opposed to. Among the political leaders who attended that I did see were Governor Douglass, Secretary of Agriculture Roger Albee, Speaker Gaye Symington, Rep. Floyd Nease and Rep. Tony Klein. (I apologize for any that I missed or did not see.) I even joked with one of them that I guess there are a lot of Vermonters too broke to eat and that they wouldn’t miss the opportunity for a free meal and it was precisely followed with the response that the “soup kitchen must be closed.”

The crowd flowed through the tent which seemed like it was for hours and the line had spread throughout the state house lawn. Hundreds of people arrived, maybe just for the free meal but hopefully with the intentions of supporting local foods. There are many benefits to eating local foods, envirnomentally, economically and health.

Environmentally, eating locally helps cut down on usage of fossil fuels used in the transportation of food. A typical American’s dinner plate travels thousands of miles, so by eating locally you directly conserve energy and slow down the rate of global warming. Economically, by supporting local food sources money is retained within the local economy and therefore it builds a stronger vibrant community. For Health, eating local seasonal foods creates a balanced diet rather than that of eating foods artificially processed that humans are not genetically prone to.

Today, August 1, 2007 I am proud to live within a community that strongly support it’s naturally produced products. Each day, when one chooses to eat locally it helps support a community that has been fragmented by the industrial economy as well as preserving our working landscapes. I can not say that I will exclusive eat local foods,(for my culinary skills are not as diverse as I would like, however Sarah thinks they are) however the more that I do the better off I know that our planet will survive.

Peace
Robb Kidd

“Think Globally Act Locally,” attributed to David Brower, Friends of the Earth.

2 Comments:

At August 04, 2007 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robb Kidd wrote: I respect all those who had attend this event, even the ones I fundamentally am opposed to. Among the political leaders who attended that I did see were Governor Douglass, Secretary of Agriculture Roger Albee, Speaker Gaye Symington, Rep. Floyd Nease and Rep. Tony Klein. (I apologize for any that I missed or did not see.) I even joked with one of them that I guess there are a lot of Vermonters too broke to eat and that they wouldn’t miss the opportunity for a free meal and it was precisely followed with the response that the “soup kitchen must be closed.”

No, the soup kitchen was not closed, it is just that some of us opted to take this opportunity to eat some samples of fine food not usually available to us; unlike what such politicians can often afford off the backs of the taxpayers they pick the pockets of ....

 
At August 04, 2007 10:05 AM, Blogger RobbKidd said...

The comment about a free meal and the soup kitchen must be closed was meant to illustrate the amount of people who had showed up for the event. My light humor, I suppose was not accurately descriptive to the attendance and I realize that there was a lot of excitement in the locally infused culinary cuisine. I respect all those who had attended and I have no intentions of making fun of them. I had volunteered with the event and sorted out garbage from compost. I have the highest regards for events like these and people who support the event, even of politicians who are looking for a cheap photo-op, because at least it brings about a higher awareness of the issue.

Thanks for the comment, I highly appreciate any comments people make, for I could have confused an issue, or could be highly wrong or I just did not makes sense. The only way we can evolve is with open lines of communication for as much as I talk my own shit I do not know everything.

Peace
Robb kidd

 

Post a Comment

<< Home