Evolving Peace

A site that is progressing for the goal of everlasting peace within ourselves, our family, our friends, our country and our planet !

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Juicy News


As I have posted a short time ago, I have become removed from the rest of the world and while it dismays me that I am not able to get myself as informed as I would wish, in some ways I am glad I have been out of touch. There are many problems accentuated in the world today and to my shock and horror while awaiting repairs on my truck, I was duly informed on the world today. Despite my removal from political affairs, I do know that a landmark court decision was delivered that debunked the claims of the auto industry. In that case Judge William Sessions declared that under the Clean Air Act and along with the EPA’s approval of a California ruling on limiting carbon emissions a state can regulate mileage standards to miles per gallon of automobiles and that automobile industry can comply; however that does not seem relevant to the news of the day. So, while I awaited my repairs instead of stories of emissions or other relevant concerns, I and America were informed of the circumstances of Mr. O.J. Simpson.

My guess is that the media moguls and the powers that be would rather have Americans blinded with celebrity gossip and to keep them from being properly informed. Words have come out strongly condemning the biasness of Media empires like Rupert Murdoch’s Fox News and Newscorp, while the rest of the industry has been left to their own misdoings. As I embark, on my diatribe against the news media, I am reminded that other political perspectives do too criticize the media but their faulty premises are on that is a liberal bias. Whatever the faults are of the media, I can summarize is that in either case it needs a serious change. The media has been come so overly consolidated that the situation has become less fair or even unbalanced. Currently, as the years progress America is left with less and less sources of news and the powerful news empires battle on marketing the product. Fox, the news channel of the right with its over- zealous commentators O’Rielly and Hannity, CNN the news company that brought you the First Gulf War, MSNBC with its alternative Keith Olberman, or the CBS evening news with celebrity Katy Couric. The industry has become nothing but a source of revenue and if they market to a particular crowd they too can get their share of advertising dollars or control

Newspapers do not fare much different. In Vermont, the Burlington Free Press is owned by the Gannet Newspapers the publisher of the ever so popular trash paper the USA Today, which for practical purpose is only usable to line the bottom of a bird cage. In New York, Headlines fill the tabloid Daily News and New York Post with shocking celebrity gossip. The New York Times may offer an alternative with “all the news that’s fit to print” but in actuality stories are be buried in the corners of page A-17, and while they are at it the concurrently publish the Boston Globe. Alternatively, to those more interested in the business news, The Wall Street Journal pontificates the corporate line. (As a sidebar I Rupert Murdoch was trying to buy the Wall Street Journal)

The problem of today is not that people do not care; it is that they are taught not to care. The media powers have created a medium to captivate the masses in world of consumerism and bliss. Breaking News tells us that OJ is in trouble, while the real news that the world is in trouble is buried deeply beneath the headlines. The media has reached a point where although they are not a function of the government, they practically are. The news media creates the headlines, creates the celebrities and tells you who to vote for. Obama is for change and Fred Thompson is Ronald Reagan’s heir apparent they tell us. The Counterculture icon Timothy Leary passionate words declaring "Turn on, tune in, drop out" should be changed to “Turn off, Tune out, Drop Out.” Drop out from the system and begin an adventure to think for yourself.

Peace
Robb Kidd

“The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses” Malcolm X.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home