Evolving Peace

A site that is progressing for the goal of everlasting peace within ourselves, our family, our friends, our country and our planet !

Monday, September 03, 2007

Labor for the Now.


Of all the days and holidays in the year, Labor Day has struck a fondness in my soul. Labor Day a day to celebrate every one and not just the elites of history, religious icons, or some Hallmark accentuated day. Labor is something we all do, whether we are conscious of it or not we all work. As Bob Dylan chimes in his song Serve Somebody, “it may be the devil or it may be the lord, your going have to serve somebody”.

So on a day like this, where very few of us are actually working, I take homage to the all the work that has been done in the year. The men and women who built my computer that I penned my thoughts on, the ones who served my coffee this morning at Capitol Grounds, and the men who came and took my garbage away, are all labors of their work. While many of us go unconsciously through our days there is a whole structure of people who make our days obtainable, and that is what the day is about to me.

As I basked in the morning sun, I am also reminded that the day is more than just about work, it is about life. While many people’s identity becomes their work, I am reminded that there is more to our lives than work. Life is about living and experiencing all that there is to enjoy and on this day we can all stop and smell the flowers. I for one had worked for almost ten years as a travel agent and the job had become nothing more than just a pay check. Work was something I must do and I begrudgingly returned each morning to what I paralleled to being a prison sentence.

Until one day, I realized that it was not what I wanted to do. At that time I wished I could just magical change my circumstances and hit a switch to transform myself into a different world; however that was not the case, for I needed to strive for that change.

Conversely, I have made that change but along the way I realized that my situation was not to just sit there and wait for the future, but to act then and now. The present moment is the only reality we as and individuals can control and there it was I began to enjoy the now.

Now, is the most important time in our lives, and no matter how much planning we can do for the future or how much good or bad times occurred in the past, we can only control now. That is what I did and no matter what situation I am in, I try to enjoy it for what is. Work was not my identity nor ever will it; I may do some other line of work in the future but as I exist today, that is all I can care for but today. Work is not who we are, but just mere means of serving our fellow man.

So, as I begin my day lounging in the sun, I take pride in having this day, so that we can all just enjoy who we are without having to serve. There is plenty of time to work and as tomorrow will come, I hope that my fellow man and woman will just learn to enjoy life as it is, because the sun is shinning today just like it will tomorrow.

Peace
Robb Kidd

“One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important.” Bertrand Russell, 20th Century British Philosopher

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home