Evolving Peace

A site that is progressing for the goal of everlasting peace within ourselves, our family, our friends, our country and our planet !

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Marriage Equality Now

As a heterosexual married man, I feel there is no place for anyone’s personal beliefs infringing on the rights of others. This is why I support the Vermont Legislature in granting equal rights to same sex couples. Marriage in Vermont is a personal commitment between two people that has a number of legal repercussions.


Many religions dictate the parameters of marriage. These parameters should have no bearing on the state’s guidelines. According to my birth raised religion, I am not married because my wife is not of the same religion; however Vermont still recognizes our marriage. My choice to marry someone of a different religious background does not exempt me from my civil rights to marry. Likewise, the state of Vermont should recognize the marriage of any two consenting adult regardless of their background and lifestyle.

Furthermore, recognizing equal marriage rights will be an economic benefit to Vermont. Last year, when my wife and I got married we contributed over ten thousand dollars to the Vermont economy from our guests lodging and other wedding related expenses. Weddings are a lucrative business in Vermont. Residents of other states flock here for their special day. Does Vermont want to exclude the influx of valuable dollars because of personal discriminatory values?


Passage of the Marriage Equality Act is smart economic policy and is morally the right thing to do. During the civil rights movement the Supreme Court struck down the policy of “separate but equal”, so hereto the legislature can easily remove the barrier on equality by passing the Marriage Equality Act. I am proud that Vermont Legislators are breaking away from stereotypical fears and moving Vermonters closer to peaceful coexistence.


Peace

Robb Kidd


“They say that time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself” Andy Warhol


ps: The above is a letter I submitted to the Times Argus. All persons need to work together to create a just and harmonious society, not just when their rights or liberties are threatened.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home